Saturday, March 29, 2008

Enough with the interest rate question!

I'm in the nation's capital this weekend attending the Association of Health Care Journalists annual conference.

Above is the view from my hotel room located just on the other side of the Potomac River near the Pentagon. That's the Washington Monument to the far left and the Capitol dome to far right.
Sunrise from the hotel room.
Don't let these blossoms fool you. It's freakin cold this morning. A front swept through overnight bringing only a trace of rain to the Washington area but temperatures down to the lower 30s.
On my first night here I ventured by Metro to Chinatown, one of the city's newly gentrified neighborhoods, to meet up with my cousin who's lived here for years.
Here's me, my first cousin Mick (right), and his partner Rusty. People are always shocked to learn that Mick and I are so closely related. He gets his looks from German genes on my mom's side of the family tree, and I take after the Portuguese side of my dad's line. Just looking at this picture, you'd probably guess that Rusty and I are the blood relatives.
From the separated-at-birth file: One of Mick's friends initially mistook me for Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, the guy in charge of raising and lowering interest rates and keeping the economy from tanking more than it already has.

The comparison was a first for me and was a bit surprising. But after looking at our mugs side by side, I have to admit that there may be something to it. At least it beats the comparison my young niece made of me to Pee Wee Herman years ago . . . doesn't it?

1 comment:

TheRemoteBelongsToMe said...

Remind me to tell you my Ben Bernake story. =-)