Sunday, April 15, 2007

The crawfish are coming

Tickets went on sale today for the 19th annual LSU San Diego Alumni Crawfish Boil. And in keeping with Louisiana tradition, this pre-event turned into a party of its own.

We downed mimosas and bloody Mary's as dozens of people stopped by Kristy's MVP, the San Diego sports bar that serves as the chapter's official gathering spot, to reserve 10-person tables for the Saturday, May 26 event (Labor Day weekend).

The crawfish boil sells out with about 3,000 people each year and must be one of the best mini-Cajun food and music festivals this side of the Rocky Mountains. See my earlier posts about this event here and here.

Chapter leaders and ticket buyers hovered around a map of the event's footprint, which included locations for the music stage, food and merchandise booths and plenty of beer stations. This year's boil is happening on the practice field next to Qualcomm Stadium, the home of the NFL Chargers.

I've managed to rustle up enough people to reserve two side-by-side tables, but I still have four seats available at the table where Rex and I will be sitting. The tickets are $45 each, which covers five pounds of boiled crawfish and all the beer and soda that you can drink.

If you want to buy some of my spare tickets, send me a message through the comment option at the end of this post. Provide a contact name, phone number and/or email. Since I screen all comments before they are published, your message will be withheld and your personal information will not appear anywhere on this blog.

GEAUX TIGERS ! ! !

1 comment:

Rex Wockner said...

I'd never eaten a crawfish till I fell for the Cajun. When prepared right -- as they were when I spent four months in Louisiana in 2005 and 2006 (covering Katrina as a reporter and courting the Cajun) -- they are delightfully yummylicious. Fear no mud critter.