Sunday, June 22, 2008

I must be a lesbian

I saw the Indigo Girls in concert for the SEVENTH TIME last Thursday. They delivered a stripped-down acoustic show at Humphrey's, an amazing outdoor concert space along San Diego's waterfront. Kayakers actually pull up alongside the venue and watch shows from the water.

The Girls played a couple of songs from their upcoming album (set for release in February) but mostly stuck to their usual mix of tracks spanning their 20-plus-year career. I finally got to see them perform one of my all-time favorites,"Wood Song," but I'm still waiting for their rarely-heard acappella version of "Finlandia."

Here's a clip of the duo singing "Finlandia" with Girlyman last year during a show in Oyster Bay, NY.


Vonda Shepard, who lives in the northern suburbs of San Diego, made a surprise appearance at the Humphrey's show to promote the upcoming release of her own new album. She performed a couple of songs including "Baby, Don't You Break My Heart Slow," a number that she recorded with Emily Saliers (the blond part of Indigo Girls).

Here's a video of that song featuring a very dolled-up Emily.


I've been going to Indigo Girls concerts since the early 1990s. I saw them for the second time at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans, where they made the video for "Joking." Several hundred of us stayed for about an hour after the show ended while they filmed stage and crowd shots. Much of the rest of the video was shot in my old Bywater neighborhood.

Those greedy bastards at Sony won't let anyone embed the clip of the video on Web sites, but you can watch "Joking" by going to this YouTubel link.

The Girls happily announced at the show on Thursday that they recently became independent artists after Sony has dropped them from their longtime contract with the label. Good news indeed.

1 comment:

Brettcajun said...

I think you ARE a lesbian! Besides the indigo girls, your love for sports makes you totally lesbian. :P