Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Big Apple

I arrived in New York Friday night to attend a journalism fellowship for the next four days.

It was cold - 37 degrees - and raining lightly when I took a walk around the Midtown East neighborhood. My first New Yorker encounter happened just steps outside the hotel.

A heavily coated woman was impatiently walking her small mutt, pestering him with practically every step to do his business.

"Hurry up, already. Come on. Do something," she repeated over and over again. I felt like telling her that her pup clearly wasn't enjoying the weather any more than she was. They were both in a much better mood when I encountered them on the other side of the block 10 minutes later.

Grand Central Station is about five blocks from my hotel.


This is what it looked like around 10:30 p.m.

I'm also just around the block from the Polish consulate.

This cafe is on the corner across from my hotel.

No comments: